The Government of Ghana has announced new travel guidelines for citizens moving within high-risk areas of the sub-region following a recent deadly terrorist attack in northern Burkina Faso that claimed the lives of eight Ghanaians.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the measures are aimed at strengthening consular protection and reducing exposure to violent extremism as insecurity escalates across parts of the Sahel.
“The Government of Ghana wishes to advise Ghanaians who intend to embark on essential travels to areas of concern to first contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or our Embassies accredited to the territories they wish to visit for necessary guidance.”
The Ministry explained that this step will allow travellers to receive current security assessments and practical advice before embarking on their journeys. For citizens already residing in areas where extremist attacks have been recorded, the Government has advised that movement be restricted as much as possible.
Ghanaians in such locations have also been urged to maintain regular communication with Ghanaian diplomatic missions, share emergency contact details, and ensure that personal identification documents are readily accessible to facilitate swift consular assistance if required.
Ghana’s embassies and high commissions in selected jurisdictions have also been placed on high consular alert as part of broader precautionary measures. The Ministry assured the public that it is closely monitoring developments and remains in constant contact with relevant authorities to safeguard the welfare of Ghanaian citizens abroad.
The new travel advisory follows confirmation that a jihadist attack on February 14, 2026, in Titao, located in the northern province of Burkina Faso, has resulted in the deaths of eight Ghanaians.
The victims were members of the Ghana National Tomatoes Traders and Transporters Association who had travelled to the area to engage in lawful trading activities.

Initial reports indicated that seven traders were killed during the ambush by armed terrorist groups. A further update from the Government confirmed that an eighth victim, who had sustained serious injuries and was receiving medical treatment, later succumbed to those injuries. The Government described the loss as tragic and deeply painful.
President John Dramani Mahama, on behalf of the Government and people of Ghana, conveyed profound condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives.
Officials noted that the incident has shaken trading communities that have for decades relied on cross-border commerce between Ghana and its northern neighbors.
The Government of Ghana strongly condemned the attack, describing it as a mindless and despicable act of terror against innocent civilians. In the same statement, Ghana expressed solidarity with the Government and people of Burkina Faso, acknowledging the shared burden of insecurity confronting countries in the Sahel region.
“This despicable horror must remind us of the urgent need for a new collective approach in pursuing regional security as Ghana has consistently called for, and which we reiterated at last month’s High-Level Consultative Conference on Regional Cooperation and Security hosted by President John Mahama.”
They stressed that insecurity in parts of the sub region continues to pose serious threats not only to lives but also to trade, livelihoods, and regional integration efforts.
In response to the attack, and following medical consultations, President Mahama directed the immediate air evacuation of all injured Ghanaian victims from Burkina Faso. The operation is being carried out by the Ghana Air Force, with the victims expected to arrive in Ghana later the same day.
The Government said the decision reflects its commitment to ensuring that injured citizens receive appropriate medical care and support at home. Ghana’s Ambassador to Burkina Faso and embassy staff are actively engaged in the process, maintaining direct contact with affected compatriots and coordinating interventions on the ground.
Authorities also acknowledged the cooperation of the Burkinabe Government, which granted the necessary approvals to facilitate Ghana’s medical and consular actions.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs assured the public that consular support remains available to Ghanaians in distress. Citizens requiring urgent assistance have been encouraged to contact the Ministry through designated emergency telephone numbers and official email channels provided in the advisory.
Officials reiterated that the safety, security, and wellbeing of Ghanaians remain the Government’s utmost priority. The Ministry said further updates would be provided as necessary, depending on developments in the region and the condition of affected citizens.
Beyond immediate measures, the Government emphasized that the tragedy should serve as a wake up call for stronger regional collaboration on security. Officials noted that cross border trade has long sustained communities across Ghana, Burkina Faso, and neighboring countries, making the protection of traders and transport routes a shared responsibility.
As Ghana mourns its fallen citizens, the Government said it remains committed to working with regional partners to confront violent extremism and to ensure that the movement of people and goods across borders does not come at the cost of human lives.
