By Prince Ahenkorah
The Ashanti Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Bernard Antwi Boasiako, widely known as Chairman Wontumi, has pleaded not guilty to four criminal charges brought against him in connection with an alleged fraudulent GH¢14.3 million transaction involving the Ghana Export-Import Bank (EXIM Bank).
Chairman Wontumi appeared before the High Court in Accra alongside Wontumi Farms Limited, which was represented in court by Wontumi himself. The second accused person, identified as Thomas Antwi-Boasiako, was however not present in court and is currently reported to be at large.
The accused persons firmly denied all charges levelled against them, including defrauding by false pretence, authoring a forged document, money laundering, and intentionally causing financial loss to a public body. The court was informed that they were not admitting any wrongdoing in relation to the allegations.
According to the charge sheet filed by the Attorney-General’s Department, prosecutors contend that Bernard Antwi-Boasiako and Thomas Antwi-Boasiako, in 2018, allegedly obtained GH¢14,302,000 from EXIM Bank through false pretences, leading to the current criminal proceedings.
The prosecution further alleges that Chairman Wontumi made use of a forged receipt, allegedly knowing it was not authentic, to secure an additional GH¢4 million from the bank as part of the disputed transactions. The court was told that this document was presented as genuine proof of payment to support the financial dealings with EXIM Bank officials.
Court documents also indicate that the alleged forged receipt was submitted to officials of EXIM Bank as part of supporting documentation for the transaction, and it was relied upon in processing or validating aspects of the deal now under investigation.
Under the money laundering charge, prosecutors allege that between 2018 and 2022, Chairman Wontumi took possession of portions of the GH¢14.302 million disbursed to Wontumi Farms Limited, while allegedly being aware that the funds were derived from fraudulent activities as alleged by the state.
The prosecution further accuses Chairman Wontumi, together with Thomas Antwi-Boasiako and Wontumi Farms Limited, of intentionally causing financial loss exceeding GH¢30 million to EXIM Bank in the course of the disputed business transaction and related financial dealings.
During court proceedings, counsel for the accused persons, Andy Appiah-Kubi, prayed the court to maintain the bail conditions that had earlier been granted by the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO).
He argued that the accused persons had consistently cooperated with investigators and had honoured all invitations extended to them by the authorities.
He further told the court that Chairman Wontumi, being a well-known public figure, businessman, and politician, has a fixed place of residence and has fully complied with all bail conditions imposed on him since his release.
The prosecution, however, did not oppose the bail application. It also confirmed before the court that the first accused person had complied with previous bail terms and had consistently made himself available whenever required for investigations and court appearances.
Following these submissions, the court admitted the accused persons to bail on the existing terms and directed the prosecution to file all necessary disclosures ahead of the upcoming Case Management Conference.
The matter has been adjourned to June 18, 2026, for Case Management Conference (CMC) to allow for further procedural steps in the trial process.
