Two watchmen, Adams Nyaaba, 72, and Elvis Adongo, 32, at the Bolgatanga Girls Senior High School, in the Upper East Region, have been arrested by the police.
It follows their alleged sexual abuse of a female student living with autism on multiple occasions, forcing a statement from the Ministry of Education demanding the immediate reinstatement of the 14-year victim as a boarding student, and investigation into the act and report finding immediately.
According to reports, the two accused persons have been arrested and helping with investigation.
Sources say the first incident occurred in the last week of June 2026, shortly after supervised evening studies, as the victim was returning to her dormitory.
One of the guards on patrol allegedly lured her to an isolated area behind the dining hall with a promise of food and sexually abused her.
A few days later, the second guard allegedly abused her at dawn inside the security post at the school’s main gate.
The student with special needs had reportedly gone to the post to pick up her tablet, which she had left with the suspect overnight to charge.
Sources say each guard allegedly abused her a second time in early July, bringing the total number of alleged incidents to four.
The statement from the Ministry signed by the Deputy Minister, Dr Clement Abas Apaak unequivocally condemned the alleged act, demanded the reinstatement of the victim and investigation into the matter.
“We condemn in the strongest terms any act of sexual abuse or exploitation of a child under our care”, he said on behalf of the Minister, Haruna Idrissu.
Dr Apaak who is a Member of Parliament (MP) in the region said schools are primarily to protect and nurture students and so any act of abuse by adults should not be countenance at all.
Speaking in the confines of the law that protects children below the age of 18, the Deputy Minister stressed that, a minor left in the care of adult cannot be blamed for sexual abuse suffered.
He said since the news broke, three decisive actions including offering of medical attention and counselling to the affected student to aide a quick recovery have been taken.
Below is the full statement
August 20, 2026
For Immediate Release
Ministry of Education Condemns Sexual Abuse of BOGESS Student, Directs Her Reinstatement to Boarding Status Amongst Others
The Ministry of Education has expressed grave concerns over the sexual abuse of a 14-year-old student with autism at Bolgatanga Girls’ Senior High School (BOGISS) in the Upper East Region by two watchmen employed at the school.
We condemn in the strongest terms any act of sexual abuse or exploitation of a child under our care. Schools exist to protect and nurture students, and any breach of that trust — particularly by adults entrusted with safeguarding vulnerable children is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
We wish to state unequivocally that a minor cannot be held responsible for sexual abuse perpetrated against her by an adult.
The Honorable Minister for Education, Haruna Iddrisu, has directed the Ghana Education Service (GES) to:
1. Investigate the matter and report immediately.
2. Ensure that the victim receives all the necessary medical attention and counselling for her quick recovery.
3. Immediately reinstate the boarding status of the victim.
We want to assure the student’s family and the general public that the Ministry will ensure justice is served in this matter.
The Ministry of Education sees the development as an act of indiscipline and reaffirms its commitment to the safety, dignity, and rights of every child in the Ghanaian school system.
Signed
Dr. Clement Abas Apaak (MP)
Deputy Minister for Education
By Gifty Boateng
